The fist time I made dahi vada, was a tragedy, the vadas were so hard that it could have done some serious injury. Over the years I have perfected this snack and has become a much requested item.
For the Vada:
1 cupe white urad dal
2 green chilies
1 inch piece of ginger
Oil for frying
A pot of water
For the Dahi (yogurt):
4 cups of yogurt plain
1/4 cups of sugar
For the Ganishing:
1/4 cups tamarind soaked in water
10 Jaggery crushed
- Soak Urad dal for 6 – 8 hours.
- Remove excess water and grind to smooth paste. Add ginger and chili while grinding.
- Add salt to taste.
- It should be of dropping consistency.
- add the soak tamarind, it’s juice and jaggery to pan and gently heat till all is well mixed. You will need a thick liquid so add water if needed. the mixture will be sweet and sour.
- Heat oil to a medium and drop the vadas in. I can do 4 at a time in my pot.
- Remove from the oil once golden brown and soak in water.
- The vadas will float in water and as water seeps in these will becomes heavy and drown to the bottom.
- Whip sugar and yogurt to a smooth texture.
- Squeeze excess water from the soaked vadas and add it to the bowl.
- Pour the yogurt mixture.
- Add the tamarind juice, salt, pepper powder and chilli powder to taste.
- Serve and let your guests enjoy.